When a worker has sustained a serious injury while on the job, they may benefit from the services of a workers compensation lawyer. However, not every workers compensation lawyer is equal. Also, not every case is the same and one lawyer may be more suited for a particular situation than another. This is because there is a wide range of workplace injuries because so many industries are involved. Experienced workers comp lawyers Long Island trusts can provide you with the legal guidance you need.
Here are five tips for finding the best workers compensation lawyer for your circumstances:
- Check online for reviews of the law firm and of the attorney. If you have friends, coworkers, or family who have hired a workers compensation lawyer in the past, ask for recommendations.
- Workers compensation cases can be complicated to pursue, particularly if the victim sustained a serious, catastrophic, or fatal injury while on the job. One of the reasons for the complexity of these types of claims is that depending on the circumstances of the accident, a thorough understanding of that industry will be required to build a strong case. Choose a workers compensation lawyer who has an understanding of the industry in which you work.
- Request a free consultation with the workers compensation lawyer you believe may be a good choice. Many lawyers offer a free consultation to injured workers so that we can review their case. After an attorney has the opportunity to learn the details of your situation, they will have a better understanding of your legal options. At the same time, you will have a good idea of whether or not you are comfortable working with them. Before signing on the dotted line, make sure that you feel good about hiring any attorney you meet with to discuss your case.
- Ask the workers compensation lawyer how much they charge, for what they charge, and when they charge. Many attorneys do not charge injured workers for handling their workers compensation unless they negotiate a settlement on their client’s behalf, or win a jury award in a court case. At that time an attorney will take a percentage of that award in return for their legal services. If they are not able to negotiate a settlement, or lose in court, most attorneys will not charge you.
- Make sure the workers compensation lawyer has the capacity and resources to handle your case. If the lawyer is overworked, they probably can’t dedicate the necessary amount of time and effort on your case and that may negatively affect the outcome.
It is important to hire a workers compensation lawyer that’s right for you and your case. The first step is to begin reaching out to attorneys, today.
Thanks to our friends and contributors from Polsky, Shouldice & Rosen, PC for their insight into workers compensation.