Slip and Fall Lawyer
Grocery stores are one of the most common places where slip and fall accidents occur. These accidents can cause serious injuries and require an emergency room visit and as a top-rated personal injury lawyer from Wandres Law, P.C. explains, they usually happen when store managers or employers are careless in some way. Here are the most common causes of slip and fall accidents in grocery stores.
- Liquid and food spills. There are many foods and drinks at grocery stores, so some are bound to get spilled from time to time. Unfortunately, customers can easily slip on liquid and food spills and get hurt. That is why managers and employees should always be on the lookout for spills and clean them up immediately. If they fail to do this and someone gets hurt as a result, the grocery store may be held liable.
- Poorly maintained parking lots. If grocery store managers are responsible for upkeep of their parking lots, they may face lawsuits if someone gets hurt in a parking lot. For example, if a customer trips over a pothole in a grocery store parking lot, the grocery store may face a lawsuit.
- Wet entryways. Grocery store entryways can become very slippery after a rainstorm. That is why it is important to place floor mats in these areas. Customers will be less likely to slip and fall over the slippery floors.
- No warning signs. If grocery store managers or employees can’t clean up a spill right away, they should place a warning sign in the area. If they forget to do this and a customer gets injured, they may get sued.
What to Do If You Get Into a Slip and Fall Accident
Suffering a slip and fall accident at a grocery store can be shocking. However, it is important to remain calm and take the necessary steps to ensure your right to compensation.
- Take photos of the accident scene immediately. For example, if spilled milk caused you to fall, take pictures of that to establish negligence.
- Inform the grocery store owner/manager about the accident so that they can file a report. Obtain a copy of the report for your records.
- Obtain the names and contact information of witnesses so that they can corroborate your story.
- Ask if the slip and fall accident was caught on video. If it was, you should request a copy of the video for your records. Video footage can clearly establish that a dangerous condition at the grocery store caused your accident.
- Seek immediate medical attention as slip and fall accidents can result in head injuries, broken bones and other serious injuries.
- Speak to an attorney. If you plan to pursue damages for your slip and fall accident, you will want to have a Tulsa, OK slip and fall lawyer on your side. He or she knows how much your case is truly worth and will handle negotiations with the insurance company. You will have a higher chance of receiving fair compensation.
Schedule a consultation with an experienced slip and fall attorney to talk about your case in detail.