Hit And Run Accident Attorney Des Moines IA
When searching for a Des Moines IA hit and run accident attorney, our team at Des Moines Injury Law can help. Let’s break down some FAQs we hear all the time from our clients:
What is a hit and run accident?
A hit and run accident occurs when a driver involved in a motor vehicle collision leaves the scene without stopping to fulfill their legal obligations. These obligations typically include providing identification and contact information to the other party involved, as well as offering assistance to anyone who may be injured. Hit and run accidents can involve cars, motorcycles, bicycles, pedestrians, or any other form of transportation.
What should I do if I am the victim of a hit and run accident?
Should you be a victim of a hit and run accident, there are some steps to take:
- Seek medical attention: Your health and well-being are the top priority. Ensure that you and anyone else involved receives necessary medical care.
- Document details: Try to gather as much information as possible about the incident. This may include the make, model, and license plate number of the fleeing vehicle, as well as any witness statements or contact information.
- Notify law enforcement: Report the hit and run accident to the local police or appropriate law enforcement agency as soon as possible. Provide them with all the information you have collected.
- Contact your insurance company: Inform your insurance company about the hit and run accident, even if you don’t have detailed information about the responsible party. They can guide you through the claims process and explain your coverage options.
What are the potential consequences for a hit and run driver?
Both law enforcement and a Des Moines hit and run accident attorney takes these situations serious. The consequences for a hit and run driver can vary depending on the jurisdiction and the specific circumstances of the incident. However, potential consequences may include:
- Criminal charges: Hit and run accidents can result in criminal charges, ranging from misdemeanors to felonies, depending on the severity of the incident and any resulting injuries or fatalities.
- License suspension: The driver’s license may be suspended or revoked as a result of the hit and run incident.
- Civil liability: In addition to criminal charges, the hit and run driver may also face civil liability for any damages or injuries caused. This could result in financial responsibility for medical expenses, property damage, and other losses suffered by the victim.
Can I still recover compensation if the hit and run driver is not identified?
While it can be challenging to recover compensation in hit and run cases where the driver is not identified, it is not impossible. Avenues you can pursue to obtain compensation are:
- Uninsured motorist coverage: If you have uninsured motorist coverage as part of your auto insurance policy, it may provide coverage for hit and run accidents. This coverage is designed to protect you when the responsible party is unknown or uninsured.
- Crime victim compensation programs: Some states have crime victim compensation programs that may provide financial assistance to victims of hit and run accidents. These programs are designed to help victims with medical expenses, lost wages, and other related costs.
How can a hit and run accident lawyer help me?
A hit and run accident lawyer can provide valuable assistance in navigating the legal complexities of your case. They can help you in various ways, including:
- Investigation: They will conduct a thorough investigation to identify the responsible party, using available evidence and resources.
- Legal guidance: They will explain your rights and legal options, guiding you through the claims process and helping you understand the applicable laws and statutes of limitations.
- Insurance claims: They will work with your insurance company to ensure you receive the maximum compensation available under your policy.
- Civil litigation: If necessary, they can pursue legal action on your behalf, filing a lawsuit against the hit and run driver to seek compensation for your injuries, damages, and losses.
Navigating the aftermath of a hit and run accident can be overwhelming, but with the help of an experienced hit and run accident lawyer, you can protect your rights and pursue the compensation you deserve. It is important to consult with a qualified attorney who specializes in hit and run accidents to ensure you receive the appropriate legal representation and guidance for your specific case. Reach out to our Des Moines Injury Law today and speak with a Des Moines hit and run accident attorney!