Car Accident Law Firm in Des Moines, IA
Car Accident Cases
When you sustain injuries in a car accident, one of your greatest concerns quickly becomes how you’re going to pay for all your rapidly skyrocketing medical and other expenses. While you undoubtedly know that you can sue the person whose negligence caused the accident, you probably question whether or not your case has sufficient value for a car accident lawyer to agree to file a lawsuit on your behalf.
Bottom line, you won’t know unless and until you ask. This is where the free initial consultation offered by most personal injury attorneys serves you well. You can talk with an experienced local attorney with no financial obligation on your part.
One of the most important things a car accident lawyer can help you with is determining which driver caused the accident and whether you or any other driver contributed to it. Depending on the state in which you live, this crucial determination can dramatically affect the value of your case.
In terms of your case’s value, many factors come into play, including such things as the following:
- How serious are your injuries?
- How long of an initial hospitalization will you – or did you – require?
- What treatments will – or did – you need to undergo, such as surgery or other invasive procedures?
- Will your injuries produce long-lasting conditions, infirmities, or disabilities?
- Will they require you to receive continuing therapy or care after your release from the hospital?
- Will they leave disfiguring scars?
- How much time will they require you to take off work?
- Will they make it impossible for you to return to your job?
- Will they make it difficult or impossible for you to obtain other employment?
- Will they decrease your quality of life?
Once your lawyer knows what injuries you received and has had the opportunity to review your medical records to date, he or she likely can make a reasonable initial estimate of your case’s value based on his or her experience handling similar cases in the past. He or she should also know what insurance companies tend to pay for injuries such as yours, as well as the ways in which they try to minimize the value of such injuries.
If you and your lawyer agree that you should sue the negligent driver who caused your accident, the next step will be for your lawyer to file such a suit on your behalf. He or she will then almost assuredly enter into negotiations with the defendant’s insurance company regarding a fair and equitable settlement amount. If you are looking for a car accident law firm in Des Moines, IA, then Des Moines Injury Law, LLP can help.