Mesothelioma Lawyer Des Moines, IA
Mesothelioma is a deadly and rare cancer that can be caused by exposure to asbestos. It can prove to be a difficult cancer for physicians to diagnose; this is because the early symptoms of mesothelioma can be extremely mild and easily go unnoticed. If you suspect that you may have been exposed to cancerous asbestos, it is crucial that you understand the very subtle ways that mesothelioma can first present itself. Remember, symptoms of mesothelioma may not appear for 20 to 50 years after the exposure to asbestos. Knowing the early symptoms of mesothelioma is the first step to receiving early diagnosis.
- Pleural effusions. The presence of pleural effusions is the most common symptom of mesothelioma. Pleural effusion is the buildup of extra fluid around the lungs. It can be found in 90% of patients. However, pleural effusions can be representative of other illnesses such as heart failure and embolisms, so it is commonly misdiagnosed.
- Excessive sweating and fever. At first, a fever may seem to indicate a passing condition. But if this fever does not accompany other expected signs of a cold, it is worth questioning. Excessive sweating such as night sweats is also a warning sign.
- Unexplained weight loss. Weight loss that occurs unintentionally is worrisome. 30 percent of mesothelioma patients experience weight loss; if you notice weight loss in either yourself or a loved one, ask yourself if there is a valid explicable reason for it. Unexplained weight loss of more than a few pounds can be attributed to a wide variety of illnesses, so it is important to see your doctor to determine the cause.
- Difficulty swallowing. This is what doctor call dysphagia. If you or a loved one is experiencing pain upon swallowing, this is a cause for concern as it is an early symptom of mesothelioma. Difficulty swallowing may be accompanied by hoarseness, reflux, or the sensation of fruit being stuck in the back of one’s throat. Difficulty swallowing is not normal and is not something you should ignore.
- Fatigue. Fatigue is another early sign of mesothelioma. This is very common for victims to overlook or discredit because it is also a symptom of bad sleeping habits. A fatigue that does not resolve itself with sleep is a cause for concern. This type of fatigue may also be sporadic. Because fatigue can result from many different medical conditions, recognizing additional symptoms is meaningful.
If you have experienced all or some of these symptoms, please contact your doctor for an appointment to get checked for mesothelioma.
Contact an Attorney Today
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with mesothelioma and you believe it was at the negligence of another individual, do not hesitate to reach out to a mesothelioma lawyer Des Moines, IA relies on from Des Moines Injury Law to review your case.