Schedule a Free Consultation Today! | No Fees if No Recovery | Se Habla Español.

What to Do if Your Child is Involved in Car Accident

It’s every parent’s worst nightmare: you’re making a routine trip to the grocery store when you see flashing lights and your child’s car. You pull over and find out that not only was your child involved in a car accident but was also injured. You rush over to the hospital and see their broken body, feeling desperate and helpless to fix the situation. When you are finally able to bring them home, you struggle to get a good night’s sleep because of nightmares about what happened.

If your child has been involved in a car accident, it can be one of the most terrifying moments of your life. For many parents, it’s something that they never prepare themselves for, and when it happens, they don’t know how to react. From fears about their safety to worries over insurance and liability, there is a lot to consider following an accident. Contacting a car accident lawyer Iowa from the Law Office of Des Moines Injury Law, LLP is the most important step after your child is involved in a car accident. 

Here are his tips on what to do if your child is involved in a car accident.

Check for injuries

The first thing you should know about car accidents is that there are three types of injuries that can occur: soft tissue injuries (whiplash), fractures and bruises. Soft tissue injuries are common but not usually serious. Fractures and bruises are considered more serious because they can cause long-term damage.

Soft tissue injuries can affect any part of your body, from your neck down to your ankles. These types of injuries can cause pain in the affected area for several days or weeks after an accident occurs, but they’ll eventually heal on their own without medical treatment.

Fractures and bruises can be more serious because they involve broken bones or torn ligaments/muscles that may require medical treatment such as casts or surgery depending on how severe they are. A professional car accident lawyer in Iowa can help you get the compensation you deserve. 

Who Was at Fault?

The first thing you should do is figure out who was at fault for the accident. If you are at fault and your child was driving with your permission, you could be held liable for any damage or injuries that were caused as a result of the accident. However, if your child was driving without your permission (and they aren’t yet 18), you won’t be responsible for damages caused by the accident.

If you were not at fault, but you were driving with the permission of another adult who owns the vehicle, then they are likely responsible for any damage.

Car accident lawyers in Iowa from the Law Office of Des Moines Injury Law, LLP are experts when it comes to car accidents, so they know how to handle cases like this. Therefore, it is important that you seek the help of a car accident lawyer if your child is involved in an accident. You might think that you can just settle things with the other party yourself and save money from hiring a lawyer, but you have to understand that there are some factors that only an expert knows and understands. So, it would be better if you hire one as soon as possible.