Is it possible to stop an accident before it even happens? There are a number of ways in which a trucking accident can occur. It’s important to note that sometimes, no matter the measures, there is nothing that you can do to to stop an accident before it happens. However, depending on the situation, there may be defensive driving techniques you can utilize to mitigate the severity of the accident to follow. The thought of an accident with a big rig is scary, just passing them on the interstate can invoke feelings of worry. Accident attorneys are all too familiar with caes of this magnitude. Unfortunately, accidents involving large commercial vehicles can be severe, and in some cases, deadly.
Common Accidents Involving Big Rigs
Unfortunately, most big rig accidents do not have the best of outcomes. For those who walk away injury free, it’s nothing short of miraculous. Large trucks are a common occurance on America’s highways, they are essential when it comes to obtaining goods. Despite this, their presence on the road can be incredibly dangerous. Unfortunately, there are a number of factors that can lead to car accidents. This is especially true when it comes to an industry that puts an intense amount of pressure on their drivers to deliver their loads as quickly as possible. Because of this, truckers may drive in poor road conditions, inclement weather, while fatigued or exhausted, and without taking breaks. Mounting pressures from the industry can cause drivers to behave negligently and in some cases skip essential steps surrounding truck maintenance. All of these and more can play a vital role in accidents involving commercial trucks. The following are common accidents that may occur when a big rig is involved:
- Driving in a truck’s blind spot can cause a collision if they are changing lanes and do not see you.
- Hitting you from behind, especially if you must come to a stop quickly.
- A truck’s load is not properly secured.
- When a car is stuck underneath a truck
- Head on collisions
- Side impact when a truck is unable to brake at a red light
After experiencing an accident, your world may be turned upside down. Depending on your injuries, you may not even be in a situation to make decisions on your own. As a result, you may need someone that you trust to make decisions for you.
An accident can come from out of nowhere because of this, despite your best efforts, an accident can still happen. However, there are some defensive measures you can take to ensure safety in the best way that you can, including:
- Do not drive in a truck’s blind spot where they are unable to see you.
- Do not cut a truck off when changing lanes or stop quickly in front of them. It takes them more time to slow down than the average vehicle. Stopping shortly can impact their ability to stop in time.
- Keep your distance from a truck
- Stay clear of a truck when they are making a turn
- Be prepared to respond when driving near a large truck.
Knowing ways in which you may be able to avoid an accident can give you peace of mind when sharing the road with commercial vehicles. Despite this, no matter what you do, you could still be struck by tragedy. It will be difficult to know where to begin in terms of the claims or legal process, especially if your injuries are so severe that all of your attention must focus on healing. A Canoga Park truck accident attorney will be vital in such cases because they can advocate and maximize the compensation you deserve.
Thank you to our friends and contributors at Barry P. Goldberg for their insight into auto and truck accidents.