Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Des Moines IA
Having an experienced and informed motorcycle accident lawyer Des Moines IA provides could make all the difference in a legal claim. Motorcycle accidents happen every year and can result in severe injuries and even death. These accidents can occur for many different reasons, including motorcycle lane splitting, road hazards, speeding and cars making left-hand turns. A motorcycle accident lawyer Des Moines IA recommends may help motorcycle accident victims get justice for the injuries they suffered.
Motorcyclists know their bikes and the risks of riding; Johnston Martineau knows the law and how it applies to these drivers. It is our objective to defend and protect the rights of motorcyclists who have been injured in an accident. Regardless of the extent of your injuries, or how the collision occurred, you can call a Des Moines motorcycle accident lawyer such as Johnston Martineau for a free consultation.
Des Moines Motorcycle Accident Legal FAQ
What are some common injuries in motorcycle accidents?
Motorcycles are much smaller than other vehicles and provide less protection, putting motorcyclists at risk for severe injuries during vehicle accidents. It is important for motorcyclists to always wear protective gear and be constantly aware of their surroundings on the road — however, even the most careful motorcyclists can get injured during a collision. Here are common motorcycle accident injuries a motorcycle accident lawyer in Des Moines IA might see:
- Head Injuries: Traumatic brain injuries and other head injuries are some of the most dangerous types of injury motorcyclists can suffer. If motorcyclists hit their head on the pavement or another object during a crash, they may severely injure their heads. Motorcyclists who always wear helmets can reduce the risk of severe head injuries.
- Road Rash: It’s possible for motorcyclists to be ejected from their bikes and subsequently slide across the pavement during accidents. This can lead to an injury called “road rash,” which is caused by the friction of moving across the pavement. While some cases of road rash result in mild irritation and bruising, others can lead to skin infections and even nerve damage. Wearing protective clothing can reduce — but not fully eliminate — the risk of suffering from road rash in a collision.
- Broken Bones: A motorcycle accident lawyer Des Moines IA trusts might also see clients who have suffered broken bones from motorcycle accidents. Motorcycles offer little protection compared to other passenger vehicles, so there is an increased risk of sustaining an injury during a crash. Broken bones, especially in the limbs, are common injuries.
- Biker’s Arm: When a motorcyclist is thrown off a motorcycle during an accident, it is natural to throw an arm in front of the body to decrease the impact. Unfortunately, this can lead to severe injuries, such as nerve damage, in the arm.
I was contacted by an insurance company and they’re offering me a settlement, should I accept?
No, it is advisable to politely decline any request for a statement in addition to signing or agreeing to anything offered by the insurance company. This could be detrimental to the outcome of your claim and the amount awarded to you.
Will I have to go to trial?
It is the goal of a motorcycle accident lawyer Des Moines IA depends on for legal advice to settle a claim with the insurance providers. When this is successful a trial may not be necessary. Once you have had a consultation with Johnston Martineau you can be told of your legal options, and what you might expect should you pursue a claim.
I think I am partially at fault; can Johnston Martineau still help me?
Regardless of what you may think about being partially to blame, it’s a good idea to see what a motorcycle accident lawyer in Des Moines IA has to say. Even if you were a contributory factor to negligence, you still may be eligible to receive damages from another at-fault party.
I have psychological damages in addition to physical injuries, will compensation cover this?
A motorcycle accident lawyer Des Moines IA trusts should assess the full extent of your injuries in addition to any emotional anguish, mental hardship, lost wages, and more. Anything that is determined to be a result of your accident might be included in the claim for monetary damages.
Can I get compensation for my motorcycle accident injuries?
If you were injured while riding your bike because of a negligent driver, contact our motorcycle accident lawyer at Johnston Martineau, LLP. We can help ensure maximum compensation for your damages. When a victim suffers a significant injury, the resulting damages are costly, and this is when an insurance company is most likely to cause a claimant problems. Our motorcycle accident lawyer has seen this time and time again. Either the at-fault insurance company denies the claim or it offers a ridiculously low settlement. In other cases, they delay and delay and delay in their payout with the hope that the claimant will go away one way or another. It often requires the victim to hire an aggressive and determined motorcycle accident lawyer to protect their right to fair compensation. The insurance company will have a team of attorneys who are dedicated to protecting their profits. It behooves injured victims to hire their own legal representation. Allow our motorcycle accident lawyer to review your case and provide insight that can help you make decisions that reflect your best interests. We do not charge for this initial consultation so be sure to call us without delay to learn more about how we might be able to help you.
What Are Compensable Damages?
In the context of a car accident claim, the damages that the victim suffered and which are eligible for compensation from the at-fault party are considered compensable. One of the first things a motorcycle accident lawyer will consider when deciding whether or not to handle a victim’s case is the extent and nature of the compensable damages. For instance, if the damage is minor and the victim will not require surgery and will not miss work nor suffer from scarring, it may not be advantageous for the victim to hire a motorcycle accident lawyer. The more compensable damages that the victim has suffered, the more important it is to make sure that they are not cheated out the compensation they deserve. Here are some of the most common forms of compensable damages:
- Surgical and other treatment costs
- Medicines and medical devices such crutches, wheelchair, shower bench and other health aids
- Prosthetic devices
- Physical scarring
- Emotional scarring and post-traumatic stress disorder
- Pain and suffering
- Lost income and future lost income
- Future medical treatment, including surgeries
- Damage to your motorcycle
What Are Non-Compensable Damages?
Damages that the victim of a car accident cannot include in their claim are those which are considered non-compensable. When you sit down with our motorcycle accident lawyer, the damages you have suffered will be identified as compensable or non-compensable and the latter will be put aside. Examples of non-compensable damages include:
- Prior health conditions or injuries that existed before the accident and were not made worse by the accident
- Damages you suffered in relation to the accident for which you are wholly responsible. For instance, if you got angry at the at-fault driver and punched his vehicle and injured your hand, that injury would not be compensable.
How much will filing a claim cost me?
In general a lawyer takes on a motorcycle injury case on a contingency fee basis. This means you may not pay any fees until the claim reaches a settlement or verdict. To find out if this applies to your claim, you should call Johnston Martineau as soon as possible. This is especially true because there are statutes of limitations, also known as a deadline, which you must abide by in order to file a legal claim.
What should I expect in an initial consultation with a motorcycle accident lawyer Des Moines IA counts on?
During your first consultation with a Des Moines motorcycle accident lawyer, he may listen to you tell your version of the motorcycle accident and ask you several different questions about your case, such as how severe your injuries are and whether or not any insurance companies have tried speaking to you yet. Be sure to be completely honest with your motorcycle accident lawyer Des Moines IA depends on. He is there to help you — not judge you.
A motorcycle accident lawyer Des Moines IA offers might also ask you if you have any questions for him. Don’t hesitate to bring up any of your questions or concerns. If you forget to ask a question, you can always call your lawyer later and ask him your question over the phone.
Contact Johnston Martineau for a Free Case Review
If you have your own questions and concerns about a motorcycle accident claim, you can speak to the lawyers at Johnston Martineau. In a confidential, supportive, and informative meeting, we’ll listen to your story and let you know what legal options are available. For a free consultation with a motorcycle accident lawyer Des Moines IA driver’s respect, please call (515) 493-4878.