Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Des Moines IA
As a motorcycle accident lawyer Des Moines IA provides might attest, the idea of a motorcycle accident can create a sense of fear and anxiety for any motorcycle enthusiast. This is because when a motorcyclist goes out on the road, they have a far greater chance of being involved in an accident than other vehicles on the road. If you have been in a motorcycle accident, it may be important to work with a motorcycle accident lawyer Des Moines IA has to offer to determine if you can sue the driver who caused the accident.
How Can a Biker Prevent an Accident?
Motorcyclists must ride with extra caution in order to do all that they can to prevent an accident. Practicing motorcycle safety is vital:
- Always wear safety gear, especially a helmet.
- Know the types of situations that are more likely to cause an accident. For example, a car turning in front of you may not see you.
- Road conditions such as poor weather, uneven roads, and loose gravel.
- Do not take turns or corners too fast.
- Pull up beside a car rather than behind them. This may provide extra protection from a car that pulls up behind you and could potentially prevent a fender bender.
- Never ride a motorcycle when under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
The Importance of Documentation
Having the right documentation is one of the most important things you can do when filing a personal injury claim. This is where Des Moines IA motorcycle accident lawyer may be particularly useful, because they may help you gather some of the evidence that is needed.
- Journal everything. You not only want to write down your account of the accident; it’s also important to keep record of your recovery from the accident. This may be important when showing the lasting impact the accident has had on you.
- Take photos of the accident. This will be helpful in getting a clear picture of what happened. If you are unable to do this, a motorcycle accident lawyer Des Moines IA can provide may be able to visit the scene after the accident to take photos and recreate the accident.
- Collect medical records (including notes from doctors and expenses), accident reports from the scene, and witness testimonies. A capable motorcycle accident lawyer Des Moines IA relies on may assist you during this part of the claims process.
Is There a Statute of Limitations?
The statute of limitations is the length of time you have to file a lawsuit after an accident occurs. These time frames vary depending on the state in which the accident occurred. The courts will likely not hear your claim if you do not meet the deadline. Statute of limitations, depending on where you live, can be anywhere from 1 to 6 years. If you have any concerns about the statute of limitations in your state, it’s wise to speak with a motorcycle accident lawyer in Des Moines IA.
Contact Johnston | Martineau, PLLP
Working with a personal injury attorney may help to ensure that you have all the necessary documentation to support your claim and that your claim is filed within the required time frame. At Johnston | Martineau, PLLP, we offer free initial consultations to go over the details of your case and help to determine if filing a personal injury claim is the appropriate next step.
To speak with one of our team members or to schedule a consultation with a motorcycle accident lawyer Des Moines IA drivers trust, please call our office today at (515) 493-4878.